Saturday, December 4, 2010

Veganism, status update

So, things are going OK. I'm not eating entirely vegan, but I'm eating very consciously (except last night).  I am still attracted to the vegan way of eating, because if you're creative, you can eat really well and after reading Eating Animals I don't want to support the animal factory farming industry in this country in any way.  But there is so much research on the importance of good quality, clean meats in a diet, along with good fats: olive oil, coconut oil, butter, lard, that it's hard to make the switch the more I read. I'm beginning to think the key is to understand what your body wants and needs, and not throw yourself into a rigid way of eating. That said, I do think everyone would benefit from removing and really limiting sugar in most forms, along with grains, soy and processed food. Dr Mercola just posted an interesting article on his website about the most common causes of cancer and how most of them are environmental, and insulin fluctuations are a big cause, among many others.

So what am I eating so far? Alot of vegetables and salads and millet bread and rice pasta and risotto and fish. I don't really like to cook vegetables and eat them individually (laziness!) so I either juice them or roast whatever I have and make a pureed soup. Doing both everyday. Both are really good ways of getting a few servings in a day at least. I'm also researching possibly getting a small extra basement freezer and finding a farm where I can buy clean, well raised animal meat and buy in bulk.  I'll let you know what I find out. From what I learned from the book, even Bell and Evans isn't great because although their chickens may free of chemicals, those birds I'm sure are not leading happy lives. I might try to look into this too to confirm my suspicion.


Here's a quick recipe I've been using everyday for a carrot curry dip. It really is a copy of something the Natural Grocer makes here in town. I don't have their recipe so I copied based on taste.


A bunch of carrots, maybe half a bag, skinned and chopped
1/2 to 1 t of curry
1/2 to 1 t of salt
olive oil
1/2 cp coconut cream milk


I basically boiled the carrots until they were very very soft, drained the water, added the curry, olive oil, milk and salt in the pan and blended until it was very smooth, tasting as I went.
Then cooled it in the fridge. It's best when cold and it's great with any kind of chips and/or rice crackers.

Here's the book by the way.  I think everyone should read it just so they are informed.


More later. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment